My Suggestions?!

Topics: UI Development
Jan 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Hi all,

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope you are all starting to recover from the festivities.

The UI is starting to look great but a little too Microsoft Visual Studio with the Start Page, might I suggest. Yes I did see users can tick a box to stop it reappearing after the first time but again this is so yesterday. Could you not come up with a more up to date UI instead of copying Dreamweaver page-for-page.

Ocular should (I humbly suggest) try to better Dreamweaver rather than frustrate users. Therefore improvements should be added where there is true added benefits over Dreamweaver's offerings to that end I have come up with one or two suggestions.

1. An idea I had to be more productive is for example to start typing "img" and as you do a drop down box appears where you select your image file. If the file location is different to the default one then you could select the other folder and it will be added to the list for next time. (is that clear?) In addition the image properties box should automatically open in case they need changing. You could extend this feature when you type color, table, etc. For colours the colour window appears with a colour picker so you have the option to select a colour from a swatch or elsewhere on your desktop, a hex code box would also be available for an exact colour.

2. The second idea for images (and simpler I feel) is at when you type "img" a grab handle appears attached to the pointer and you move this over to the image file you wish to select and click. If you don't want to insert a file at that time then by pressing Esc you will cancel the operation and can continue typing.

3. Add Lorum Ipsum text in WYSIWYG view with a right click within a cell and a dialogue box opens for you to select the font size you desire. Also if it is for a title then you can tick a box to let Ocular know it is a title and how many words you want to display. In code view you would type Lorum and a dialogue box would open with your options and a preview.

I understand that it is very easy to come up with ideas and can be hard to implement but if you don't ask you don't see if it is possible, do you? 

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I think most of these could be implemented when the UI is ready. I will add them to the issue tracker later. As for the UI, contact the user ComradeForte, he's in charge of it. 

If you're interested in helping implement, you're welcome to, but otherwise please continue giving suggestions, since it helps us make the software user friendly. On the start screen, I assume the skip link would do the job of a "don't show this again" button.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Many thanks for the feedback.

I just thought of another idea in which you could provide a set of images to use during the creation of the site which advertised Ocular in a number of colours and styles. That way you are reminding users of the product they are using while providing a useful resource, in addition to other fills of course.

Also how about an install feature for the likes of LESS, SCSS, etc? So if a user needs an additional feature it can be installed on the fly.

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I think your first idea is a great one that is very easy to implement, and as for the install feature, a sort of plugin system could do that reasonably easily. I'll add those to the issue tracker too.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Aurora01 wrote:
I think your first idea is a great one that is very easy to implement, and as for the install feature, a sort of plugin system could do that reasonably easily. I'll add those to the issue tracker too.